Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Post


I like cephalopods, especially octoposes, for a lot of reasons; so much so that I've decided to author a blog about them.

First, though, a bit of background about myself: I'm a student at the University at Buffalo in the Psychology and Pharmacology departments. I came to my interest in cephalopods through a passing interest in comparative behavioral neuroscience (that is, the study of how the nervous system control behavior across a variety of species.) That passing interest turned into a burning interest, and now I'm hooked on cephalopods (I'll post more about why I love them so much). That brings us pretty much up to speed.

This blog is my attempt to systematize and clarify my own learning about cephalopods. I hope I can entertain and inform other people at the same time, and share all the wonderful knowledge that has been gathered about these creatures. That said, my interest in cephalopods is primarily scientific – I'll try to stay close to the primary literature wherever I can, and I might get jargon-ey at some points, although I'll try to explain myself as much as possible.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to learning more and more and more with you! I'm working on two posts right now, one about cephalopod systematics (that is, their classification as organisms) and the other about the importance of the cephalopods, especially octopods (that is, cephalopods with eight appendages,) in comparative neuroscience and comparative psychology.

No comments:

Post a Comment